Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Fan’s take: Which golf major is the best?

love a good golf tournament. A tournament where the scoring is low and the players are humbled a bit. That is one reason why I like the majors. Usually they are held on the toughest courses and really show how talented the golfers are.
Here is my personal ranking of golf's majors:
4. The PGA Championship: The name of the tournament itself doesn't illicit oos and ahs. The other majors sound big; the PGA Championship sounds like a run-of-the-mill tournament. The one thing it has going for it is that it is the final of the year, so you have guys going for multiple majors for the year, which can build drama. Also, I sometimes have a hard time remembering the trophy the winner receives; it is the Wanamaker Trophy by the way. I never forget the Claret Jug or the Green Jacket.
3. The British Open: This is going to be blasphemy to some, but the British is only my third favorite. One problem is I am American and the time difference sometimes makes watching it hard. Second, the weather is often miserable, but it comes and goes. This makes it so that the people playing in the morning or afternoon have a distinct advantage, you just don't know which one it will be. Lastly, I hate links golf. The bad bounces golfers sometimes get irk me. It is said these bad bounces test the golfer's mettle, but if I hit a good shot I want to be rewarded for it, not penalized.
2. The U.S. Open: U.S. Open courses are usually tough but fair. It usually is quite lengthy, with nasty rough, and undulating greens. As a player that is awful with the putter, I know I wouldn't want any part of these greens. I like the timing of it as well. The final round falls on Father's Day, unlessit messes around with the schedule. I also like that if there is a tie after 72 holes, those tied play another full round of 18 holes the following day. The one drawback is the trophy name—we need to do better than the U.S. Open Trophy.
1. The Masters: The youngest of the four majors is my personal favorite. I like the fact that it is played on the same course every year. It is also the first major of the year, which means I am usually jonesing for some high-quality golf. I also like the pomp and circumstance of the Green Jacket and the previous year's winner putting the jacket on the new winner. I love the tradition, the lack of advertising, the old-time scoreboard, and the fact that cell phones aren't allowed. Also, since I live in the Northeast corner of the United States, it also a sign that spring is here, and that is always a good thing.
As a golfer I am what you would call a duffer that plays a couple of times a month. My love of golf can be traced back over 30 years to when I was young and my father would watch it on tv.

No comments:

Post a Comment