Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Harry Potter's Emma Watson to star in new Beauty and the Beast

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II has only been out for a few days (and has already amassed more than half a billion dollars worldwide), but Emma Watson has reportedly lined up her next film gig already. The 21-year-old actress will star in a film adaptation of Beauty and the Beast, reports Comingsoon.net.
Few other details are known about the project, but don’t expect some cheesy teen rom com in the vein of Beastly (sorry, Vanessa Hudgens!); this new adaptation is set to be directed by Guillermo Del Toro, who has a flair for the dark and twisted (Pan’s Labyrinth, Hellboy). With any luck, Watson’s “Beauty” will be less of a pushover than in other versions of the story — especially since the actress has previously indicated that she prefers to portray strong women.
"I feel like young girls are told they have to be this kind of princess and be all this sweet stuff. It’s all bulls**t,” Watson told UK paper the Sun last week. "I identify with more of being a warrior princess, so if I had to be a princess, I'd have to kick some ass first. That would have a lot of people terrified."
Aside from promoting the final Harry Potter film and lining up her next gig, Watson’s also got the rest of her academic career to think about. She told People this week that she’ll spend the next school year at Oxford University.
"I'm still a student at Brown,” Watson said. "It's just that I'll spend my third year abroad -- at Oxford. Then I'll return to Brown to complete my last year."


No comments:

Post a Comment